Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Brrrrrrrrrr

Last night I surprised a few of my friends. No one could believe that a Canadian could be afraid of the cold! Canadian or not I’ve never liked the cold and yesterday it was very cold! Good thing I have years of experience in the art of layering clothes and yesterday I was well and truly layered. I think the main difficulty is the temperature deviance here. At noon the temperature rises to 30C and then at night it can be 12-15C. So going from hot to cold is a thermal shock on your system and the piercing Harmatan winds that make the cold enter into your joints doesn’t help! And let me tell you that the morning is challenging to get up! When you are lying under the covers all warm and your cold nose (only part exposed to the outside air) tells you that getting up is going to be freezing all you motivation drains out of you. It doesn’t help that the sun is rising later so the room is still dark at 6am when the alarm rings. Then when you start to think that you need to step outside in the cold wind for a shower, heated water or not, you know that you are going to be cold, I can say that you really want to pull those covers over your head and wait till noon to get up!

No comments: